Community Engagement Volunteer.
Purpose of the Role.
Healthwatch aims to improve local Health and Social Care services,by using the experiences of service users, family of and carers to identify good and poor practices,as well as gaps in the provision of services. We want to build confidence within the community,that their experiences, whether good or poor, are important, that they should be heard and will make a difference.
Community Engagement Volunteers are vital to our mission,as they are the face of Healthwatch,and will actively promote our organisation within the community. They will reach out and engage with the community,on their own terms, making sure to listen to their experiences,and build their confidence by ensuring that their voices are heard.
- Assist in promoting Healthwatch by taking part in engagement events,aimed at young people, at volunteer fayres and other events as needed.
- Engage with local communities at engagement events,and enable their voice to be heard by recording their experiences,through our survey.
- Promote the Healthwatch Newsletter during engagement events,and encourage people,to receive updates of Healthwatch’s activities,through social media platforms.
- Assist with the continual development of the Healthwatch survey,to ensure it meets the needs of the local community.
- Identify local and national news in relation to,Health and Social Care services and bring them to the attention of Healthwatch.
- Identify alternative media sources,which can reach people with learning difficulties,and literacy issues.
- Undertake training appropriate to the role.
You do not need any specific experience or knowledge to volunteer with Healthwatch. Instead we ask that our volunteers can demonstrate the following attributes:
- Good interpersonal skills, demonstrating active listening and an open minded, non-judgemental attitude.
- Be approachable and confident when engaging with individuals,from a range of backgrounds,and have a commitment to promoting Equality and Diversity.
- Be respectful, compassionate and supportive of and towards others.
- Be proactive in protecting personal data,and maintaining confidentiality.
- Have an interest in Health and Social Care,and be passionate about making a difference to the lives of others.
- Able to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Good written communication skills,including the ability to take notes and write up conversations.
Volunteering opportunities with Healthwatch, for the most part, will be provided Monday to Friday within office hours. There may be occasions however,where volunteering opportunities are offered outside of these times.
There is no time commitment when volunteering with Healthwatch. You are able to choose as and when you volunteer,but we recommend a minimum of five hours volunteering per month,in order to gain the most experience from the role.
There is no set location for this role, engagement events can take place anywhere across the area,however you will be informed when,and where they are taking place and,can choose which events you want to be involved with.
Disclosure and Barring Service
You will be required,to undergo an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check for this role. This will be at no cost to you. Having a criminal conviction does not preclude you from volunteering, and each case will be dealt with on an individual basis.
What will you get in return for volunteering with Healthwatch East Riding?
- Induction training and training specific to your role.
- Opportunities to access additional training and personal development.
- The chance to develop new skills,and knowledge to assist with career goals, education and training.
- Support and supervision from the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred during the course of your volunteering role.
- The opportunity to be part of a team and to meet new people.
- The chance to have an input into the delivery,of local Health and Social Care services,and make a real difference to the lives of local people
If you have any further queries,or need any assistance in completing an application form, please contact Caroline Frost by email: firstname.lastname@example.org