Skip to content

Making Complaints

A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention. In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.

Who can complain?

Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner.

If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.

What are your rights and how do you make a complaint?

The NHS Website gives details of your rights and how to make a complaint.

What support can you get with making a complaint?

The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service is free, independent and confidential. It offers practical support and information on how to make an NHS complaint. This service is delivered by our partner organisation Cloverleaf Advocacy.

You can contact Cloverleaf by:

✉ Cloverleaf Advocacy, Hesslewood Hall, Ferriby Road, Hessle HU13 0LH
☎ 01482 880160
  07860 021 502

How can you provide general feedback on services?

The NHS website enables you to search for services near you, and read comments and reviews that have been made about those services.

Alternatively you can also leave feedback via the Care Opinion website which allows patients to share their experiences of health care. By sharing your experiences this will help improve local health services. You can also read about other people’s experiences of local services.

How can you complain directly to services?

If your complaint is about a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician you should send this to the practice concerned, or via NHS England, as follows:

✉ NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT47
☎ 0300 311 22 33

Full details of what you need to provide can be found here.

If your complaint is about a CCG commissioning or funding decision you should send this to:

✉ Patient Relations, Health House, Grange Park Lane, Willerby, East Yorkshire, HU10 6DT
☎ 01482 672047

If your complaint is about Adult’s social care services in the East Riding, you should send this to:

✉ Customer Relations Team, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, County Hall, Beverley, HU17 9BA
☎ 01482 396422

Adult Social Care Contact Us form

Contact the Children, Family and Adult Services team at East Riding of Yorkshire Council

You can get advice from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) of the relevant NHS Trust – further details are on their websites.

The right to complain or give feedback about an unsatisfactory service is a key consumer right. Please note that service providers and commissioners welcome all feedback from clients. The same contact details can also be used if you are pleased with the Service(s) you have used.